Saturday, June 28, 2008

A hard day's night

After dropping Andrei off at his day program at the Gwinnett Enrichment Center, Tim drove me to Clarkston. Terry and I had planned to write curriculum in our office at Clarkston International Bible Church. But when a friend called to tell us her husband had been admitted to the hospital the night before, we wanted to help by babysitting so she and their daughter could visit him. This is a precious family whose hearts are so open to God's leading that they bought a house in the midst of the refugee community. A trip to Tanzania was a highlight in their lives, and their lovely home reflects their love for Africa . . . and her people.Terry and I loved watching our friends' son, and Terry managed to accomplish a miracle -- she was so calm that this bright and busy little two-year-old actually fell asleep in her arms!
Terry and I actually managed to write four weeks of curriculum. A major miracle in itself!

The Beatles...

On our way home, Tim suggested we head to nearby Norcross Park to watch a Beatles cover band called The Return.
Tim grew up in the US during the fifties and sixties, so the Beatles are a strong part of his memories. I grew up in Kenya, and I had barely heard of the Beatles when I arrived in the US to attend college. Hard to believe, but true.

I thought it would be fun to walk down memory lane (should I say Penny Lane?) with my husband. We arrived to find a huge crowd gathered around the natural amphitheater. Yeah -- mostly over-50, white folks. A big change from our usual friends and neighbors these days!Tim knows every word to all the Beatles songs. He was singing, clapping, and getting goosebumps. The Return does a great job of capturing the true Beatles experience -- or so I'm told.Tim got happier by the minute. And I was happy, too, especially when he fetched us some decidedly non-British hot dogs and pizza. As the sun set, we noticed the old church behind the park. Norcross is a quaint town, and we enjoyed getting to know it better.After the concert, we stopped at an ice cream stand and shared a hot fudge sundae with a cherry on top.
Thank you, Lord, for another wonderful day.

1 comment:

Tami said...

It sounds like you guys had a fun day. I am praying for you and your family in your ministry. Julie told me that you had contacted her about helping out on some Saturdays. I would love to come and help you with the children.