Sunday, May 3, 2009

Rings on her fingers and bells on her toes!

My students are beautiful. They remind me of birds with bright, multicolored plumage. I love seeing the care these women -- all of them poor, suffering, and fearful -- take to garb themselves in pretty things. We had a hard time getting Ruk to smile. When we finally succeeded, everyone was thrilled!
Take a look at Kuresho's amazing jacket. It was handcrafted in her refugee camp in Kenya. Pretty bracelets, too. She made those herself!
Here's the shoulder decoration.
Another view of the sleeve.The women are pretty from the back, too!Beading class taught me a lot of new things! I learned that many refugees don't know how to use Scotch tape and Zip-Loc bags. When looking at a label, they don't know the top from the bottom or the back from the front. Wow -- I had a lot of unexpected teaching to do after I discovered this interesting handiwork. We finally got all the necklaces, bracelets, and earrings tagged and priced. Whew!I broke a rule, too. We have a "no children" agreement with the community center. But I couldn't send Asmita away. Take a look at those eyelashes!A new week begins tomorrow. We will be registering women for our next 8-week session of sewing, crochet, knitting, and bead classes. Drop on in for a visit!

No comments: