Thursday, February 11, 2010

And the winner is . . . Indiana!

Maybe not in the Super Bowl, but in my book Indiana is No. 1! I spent three days in Indianapolis right before the big game. What a fun place! Ladies of all ages gathered for the Women's Enrichment and Renewal event with the theme "Designed with Style." Allison Kinion, director of women's ministries for the Indiana Baptist Convention, picked me up at the airport. This lovely and delicate lady not only organized a huge event with eighteen speakers and 800 attendees, but she also helped fold bags, arrange displays, and prepare for The Refugee Sewing Society's marketplace.
It wasn't long before women began browsing.
These traditional Bhutanese caps were a source of amazement . . .
. . . and amusement!
Our refugee bags were a big hit.
I had brought several hundred market bags, so arranging them was a challenge.
We parked a snood atop the easel that displayed photos of our women at work.
Amy's bead group had made gorgeous necklaces, earrings, and bracelets. She found boxes that made them easy to transport and display.
The baby caps and booties were popular.
I don't know what I would have done without the wonderful volunteers. This gentleman kept watch over the cloth diapers and knitted scarves.
And this fellow could add prices in his head faster than I could punch them into a calculator!
I was so grateful for those who stepped behind our tables and helped keep the stock organized and replenished.
After my short speech, a wonderful message by Page Hughes, and music by Tina Hutchison and company, women flooded into the halls of the hotel and rushed over to our tables to begin shopping in earnest. "I'll take that and that, please!""And I'll pay you, too!"
Market bags? Who wants market bags?
We like that green stuff in the bottom right hand corner there. Our refugee women's handmade items earned nearly $4,000. Amazing! God is good . . . and I love Indiana.

2 comments:

Cheryl Lewis, Indy said...

The girls and I love you and your ministry too...We would love to come for a visit once the snow melts...getting another 5 to 10 inches today...to cold for any of it to melt...please keep in touch..we look forward to seeing how God is going to bless your ministry..Love and Prayers,

Carla Gade said...

Look at the wonderful display! Everything looks great and the phot displays are awesome, too.