Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I did it!

The Refugee Sewing Society graduated all our students from this past session. Students were enrolled in Beginner Sewing, Advanced Sewing, Bead Class, and Yarn Class. When we handed out certificates, mass celebration erupted!We had a party with tea and cookies. Everyone was so happy! It's not easy to find joy, self-esteem, and satisfaction when you've fled a war-torn country. Some women have suffered more than our minds can grasp. The suffering doesn't go away just because they're in America.
The ministry of The Refugee Sewing Society is to help these precious women heal and find reasons for joy.
After the party and certificate presentations, no one wanted to leave. So they worked on various projects until it was time to say good-bye. My favorite moments occur when I get to watch students help each other. Here Jasoda from Bhutan shows Hinde from Somalia how to turn a hem.
Bahati made a cute set of watermelon print placemats and green checked napkins. I hope someone buys them soon!
If you've ever wondered what good can come of women sewing, beading, and knitting together, I think this photo is the perfect answer.I'm taking the month of July to complete a book and try to rest. The Refugee Sewing Society plans to swing into action in August. Meanwhile, I'm missing my friends!

1 comment:

Marilyn Crabtree said...

I've missed your blog but talked to your Dad and Phyllis and found out you were writing some so I know you are okay. Great pictures.