Sunday, November 23, 2008

Books, books, and more books...

We were really "booked" up this Friday!

Tim and I recently learned that The Loved One, a novel I co-authored with my friend Peggy Stoks, would be available to us at a deep discount. Three years ago, we gave away 6,000 copies to our military men and women and their families. Tim felt God telling him to repeat this mission project. Tyndale House, the publisher of this and many of my novels, generously cut the price in half again. So we ordered 5,000 books. On Friday afternoon, the truck rolled into our apartment complex.
Tim and the driver unloaded countless cartons into a garage, donated free by the manager of our complex.I signed a book for the driver and his wife.
Then it was off to First Baptist Church, Covington. I spoke at their Christmas banquet -- so many beautifully decorated tables! Everyone wore their Christmas best, and we heard some glorious singing. My missions partner Terry Earl introduced our work with refugees. Then I gave a speech about God's work in my life through the years.

Afterward, I signed copies of my books. All proceeds go directly to ministry work. Lisa Conner put this great event together. Thanks, Lisa! I really enjoyed meeting one of Terry's good friends, Esther, who grew up in Kenya. She's from Thika, a town my parents lived in for several years. Esther is a strong Christian (and incredibly beautiful, too!), and I'm looking forward to getting to know her better.
This week, we'll celebrate Thanksgiving. Our hearts are full, and we're so thankful for our family, refugee friends, eager schoolchildren, ministry partners, and you -- our supporters! May God bless us, one and all.

No comments: